Why We Exist
Personal Christian character is the foundation for a Christ-honoring life. Whether a given venture is academic, athletic, professional or personal, true success is dependent on the personal work of God in an individual’s life and the character developed as a result of this relationship. AltaMeta Home School Auxiliary (AHSA) is committed to assisting Christian home school families by providing Christian character development opportunities for their students through co-curricular courses which compliment home school curriculum.
How We Accomplish Our Purpose
AHSA provides courses for Christian home school students in subjects which may not be available within the individual home learning environments. Currently, AHSA is in transition from our previously live online course format to an on-demand format. All courses are develop and presented from a Christian worldview perspective.
What We Do
The following one-half credit courses will be in development (available for student participation) in the 2021-2022 school year:
- High School Spanish I-A
- High School Spanish I-B
Future courses include:
- High School Spanish II-A, II-B, III-A, III-B, IV-A, IV-B
- High School French I-A, I-B, II-A, II-B
- Research and composition – college preparation (High School)
- Principles of financial management (High School)
Twice weekly in-person classes (Cheyenne, Wyoming) are available in the following subject area:
- Physical fitness / Kenpo (preschool to adult – Traditional martial arts, self-defense, discipline)
Note: Physical Fitness / Kenpo is offered continuously, even during summer months. As courses are completed in the new on-demand format they will be made available at any time. Courses that are under development will be available for enrollment as announced on this page.
Instruction in AHSA courses is provided by Dr. Douglas Pietersma. In addition to being a home school parent, Dr. Pietersma has undergraduate degrees in Bible and Spanish, a graduate degree with a concentration in Latin American Studies, and a doctor of education degree (Ed.D.) in Christian Education Leadership. Dr. Pietersma is a certified Spanish linguist and he previously served twenty years as a military intelligence analyst with extensive experience in training, evaluation, research, analytical writing, linguistics (translating/interpreting), curriculum development and public speaking. He holds a third-degree black belt in Hawaiian Kenpo (see Kenpo page) and has been trained and certified as a military physical training leader. He is also active in local church ministry service as a lay preacher, Sunday-school teacher, music director and youth leader. Dr. Pietersma’s complete resume.
For updates on planning events, follow us at https://www.facebook.com/AltaMetaHomeschoolAuxiliary
The following organizations provide additional support or services for homeschool families and I am happy to refer clients to these organizations who provide complementary services.
- The Home School Legal Defense Agency (HSLDA) provides extensive support for homeschool families, including but not limited to, defending member families from legal actions relate to their choice to homeschool. Please see their website at https://hslda.org/join for additional information and consider donating or joining.
- The National Home Education Research Institute (NHERI) is the premiere organization for empirical research regarding homeschooling. NHERI research is regularly cited in peer-reviewed research, books, and media publications on the topic of homeschooling. Please see their website at https://www.nheri.org/ for additional information and consider donating.
- Horton Test Prep (www.hortontestprep.com). Leia LeMaster Horton is a classical homeschool educator of 18 years and a Test Prep Expert. She helps students raise their test scores by hundreds of points. Those high scores help turn dream school into reality because students are able to receive dream financial aid packages. She assisted her own children in receiving full tuition scholarships, win Bright Futures and other merit based scholarships valued at $315,000. Since then, she’s helped countless others do the same. Leia is currently getting her Masters of Education at Covenant College and teaches nationwide via Zoom. For test prep information, email email@example.com or call 407-463-7592.